On 10/ 5/11 09:26 PM, casper....@oracle.com wrote:
  Before I go through the pain of logging a support call, has anyone
seen or fixed the following problem:

I ran an update on a fresh Solaris 11 Express system from the support
repository and after restarting, all the systems zones are dead.  The
zone consoles report:

SunOS Release 5.11 Version 64-bit
Copyright (c) 1983, 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
Requesting System Maintenance Mode
(See /lib/svc/share/README for more information.)
svc:/system/early-manifest-import:default signalled: SYS

The zones run an older version of the Solaris software and as a result its
libc doesn't match the kernel and the binaries will fail.

I think you will need to upgrade all your zones too

It might be something simple as "zoneadm detach"; "zoneadm attach -u" but
make sure that you keep sufficient save sufficient information to
reinstall the zones; and make sure you try this on one zone first before
you detach all of them.  It might be possible to update the zones also
using pkg -R<zoneroot>  image-update after you've mounted the root

Thanks Casper!

I really should tattoo "zoneadm detach"; "zoneadm attach -u" inside my eyelids!