On Wed 19 Oct 2011 at 07:51PM, Patrick Stahl wrote:
> I'm fed up and want to write a scan that will run with root priviledge
> to look "up" from inside our logical domains and non-global zones to
> find the parents name / IP / host system / something tangible (or even
> obscure - I'll do a resolve after against something).  I need to know
> the hook to look for.

First off, you can reach the people that actually work on ldoms at
ldoms-disc...@opensolaris.org.

Back when I was a customer, played with ways to accomplish the same
thing you are after.  I considered two options:

1) While an ldom is being provisioned (and afterwards) you have the
ability from the primary ldom to set ldom OBP settings.  You can the
same type of trick that SNEEP uses to store aribtrary information in
OBP.  Within the ldom, you can use eeprom(1M) to retrieve that
information.  Be sure to update this information if the ldom is
migrated.  I do not know the implications for live migration.

http://wikis.sun.com/display/sneep/SNEEP+FAQ#SNEEPFAQ-storage

If you run explorer on a regular basis, I believe it will capture this
information.  Then, if the ldom is down (and you've stored your explorer
output outside of the ldom - such as on an NFS server) you can refer to
the explorer to figure out which primary ldom you need to go to in order
to find the dead guest ldom.

2) Create an "in the box private network" that always has the primary
ldom at .1 (e.g. 192.168.200.1) and the ldoms at various other IPs on
that network.  That is, on every box, 192.168.200.1 is the primary ldom.
You can then ssh 192.168.200.1 on any box and get to its parent.  I used
a technique very much like this on 15k's and 25k's to be able to get to
the system controller across the dman network for years.

I completely get what you are saying with CMDB, having been dismayed
with the direction that I saw CMDB projects go when I was a customer.
Perhaps what you need is a tool that is a sysadmin tool that actually
understands what you do.

http://blogs.oracle.com/eSTEP/entry/announcing_oracle_enterprise_manager_ops

    At Oracle OpenWorld, we're announcing a change to Oracle Enterprise
    Manager Ops Center. Until now, Ops Center has been sold as two
    distinct "packs" which each require the customer to acquire a
    software license.  With these changes, the entire Ops Center product
    will now be included as a default part of all Systems support
    agreements -- at no extra charge!  This means that every customer of
    Oracle's Servers, Storage, Network equipment, Operating Systems, and
    Virtualization technology will be able to add Ops Center to their
    data center management suite with zero barrier to entry.

--
Mike Gerdts
Solaris Core OS / Zones