On Thu 15 Dec 2011 at 09:16AM, "Hung-Sheng Tsao (Lao Tsao ??) Ph.D." wrote:
> IMHO
> now create -b has totally different meaning in s11 vs s10 could
> create some confusion at time

create -b works the same in Solaris 10 as it did in Solaris 11 - it
creates a blank zone configuration.  The thing that is different is
create (without -b).  The default configuration (from SYSdefault.xml
now, previously form SUNWdefault.xml) has changed significantly due to
the improvements in packaging and networking.

> Another question:
> what is attr do? how application take advantage of "attr"

I think of attr as a way to add a comment or other arbitrary information
to a zone configuration.  For example, if you need to tag each zone with
the cost center that is billed for the zone, you could do so with:

# zonecfg -z myzone
zonecfg:myzone> add attr
zonecfg:myzone:attr> set name=cost-center
zonecfg:myzone:attr> set type=string
zonecfg:myzone:attr> set value=12345
zonecfg:myzone:attr> end
zonecfg:myzone> exit

You can get at the information with commands like:

# zonecfg -z myzone info attr name=cost-center
attr:
        name: cost-center
        type: string
        value: 12345

# zonecfg -z myzone info attr name=cost-center \
        | nawk '$1 == "value:" { sub("\tvalue: ", "", $0); print $0 }'
12345

--
Mike Gerdts
Solaris Core OS / Zones                 http://blogs.oracle.com/zoneszone/