I cloned core/hbase subprojects, so we do what's currently done by other hadoop subs. The issue has come up in the past, might be a good idea at some point but might also add even more complexity to already pretty complex process (see howtorelease page). I think we should get things setup similar to existing subs (still alot of work to be done converting the wiki over to apache wiki/docs) and review at some point in the future.

Howtocontrib/howtorelease/faq is already on the wiki:

mailinglists/news/etc... are part of the docs (not wiki), probably more convention than anything. mailinglist never changes and I believe news (and prolly some others) is part of docs in order to be versioned, but also to enable users who have checked out the code to have direct access .