Hi Tom, this is unusual - what's your environment like? OS and java version string would help to debug (zk config?). Mahadev (mac) and I (ubuntu/redhat) both running recent versions of java6 have just tried this and we can't reproduce it.

We use the IP address & sessionid as the name of the connection jmx bean, so this is weird:

ip=connection.getRemoteAddress().getAddress().getHostAddress();

here's an example name I see in jconsole:
org.apache.ZooKeeperService:name0=StandaloneServer_port-1,name1=Connections,name2=127.0.0.1,name3=0x11f489f81260000

(btw, thank you sun for including the invalid name in the error message ;-) )

One thing I do notice is that printStackTrace is being called by our jmx code which should not be happening - that's why you are seeing this in on the console rather than just in the log (we log WARN then ignore the issue btw) . I'll enter a jira for this.

Patrick

Tom White wrote:
I installed the candidate and got the following exception when
performing some basic operations. The operations succeeded - it looks
like a problem with JMX integration. Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks,
Tom

$ bin/zkServer.sh start
JMX enabled by default
-n Starting zookeeper ...
STARTED
loy:zookeeper-3.1.0 tom$
javax.management.MalformedObjectNameException: Invalid character ':'
in value part of property
        at javax.management.ObjectName.construct(ObjectName.java:602)
        at javax.management.ObjectName.<init>(ObjectName.java:1394)
        at
org.apache.zookeeper.jmx.MBeanRegistry.makeObjectName(MBeanRegistry.java:173)
        at
org.apache.zookeeper.jmx.MBeanRegistry.register(MBeanRegistry.java:70)
        at
org.apache.zookeeper.server.NIOServerCnxn.finishSessionInit(NIOServerCnxn.java:861)
        at
org.apache.zookeeper.server.FinalRequestProcessor.processRequest(FinalRequestProcessor.java:145)
        at
org.apache.zookeeper.server.SyncRequestProcessor.flush(SyncRequestProcessor.java:127)
        at
org.apache.zookeeper.server.SyncRequestProcessor.run(SyncRequestProcessor.java:75)
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Null object name
        at
com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.MXBeanSupport.register(MXBeanSupport.java:138)
        at
com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.MBeanSupport.preRegister2(MBeanSupport.java:183)
        at
com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.registerDynamicMBean(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:941)
        at
com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.registerObject(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:917)
        at
com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.registerMBean(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:312)
        at
com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer.registerMBean(JmxMBeanServer.java:482)
        at
org.apache.zookeeper.jmx.MBeanRegistry.register(MBeanRegistry.java:72)