Hi Manos,
 The number of open files allowed for a process can be changed. 1024 is
usually a very small number. You should change that to a bigger number to
enable zookeeper to run.

Ulimit -a should show you the number of open files allowed. It can be
changed using ulimit -n.

Also, the default for ulimit is picked up from /etc/security/limits.conf (on
linux). In case you want to change that permanently for your machine.