Flavio,

Thanks for the detailed answer. Makes sense.

-Raghu

----- Original Message ----
From: Flavio Junqueira <f...@yahoo-inc.com>
To: "rag...@yahoo.com" <rag...@yahoo.com>
Cc: zookeeper-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, 14 April, 2009 9:21:35
Subject: Re: FastLeaderElection

Hi Raghu, I'm glad that you going deep into the code, so thanks for all your
questions.

In your description below, you say that a faulty peer gets back. If it gets
back, then it is not faulty, right? To be more concrete, suppose that this peer
was partitioned away, and it now ends up being elected because it has a zxid
higher than everyone else. I would say that this behavior is correct.

The behavior we are trying to avoid is different. Suppose that the current
leader CL crashes and a new leader NL arises. Suppose also that NL crashes
before followers are able to connect to NL. In this case, followers will move
on to another round of leader election. If there is a slow process that didn't
finish the election of NL, but has NL as its current candidate, then it will
propose it again and without the notion of rounds, server will accept the
notification from the slow process.

Thanks,
-Flavio