pat, i think you articulated well the problems with becoming a TLP. you don't seem to have voted for one of the options though :)

i guess my view corresponds to option 2). it does seem like a good idea in the long term for ZooKeeper to become its own project, but for the near term, for the reasons you've enumerated, i think would should remain under hadoop. btw, i think the diverse developer community is the most problematic. i think we should stick with apache rules and make sure that we have active committers from at least 3 different organizations. i think it is an important milestone.

ben