I am working on clusterlib (YST project) and we are using zookeeper for a
backing store of cluster abstractions (i.e. Applications, groups, nodes,
data distributions, etc.).

I believe that this is an optimization use case for using zoo_set() with
versions that are != -1.

1.  I do a successful zoo_set() with version V, where V != -1.
2.  Make more changes to my data.
3.  I want to do another zoo_set() but I don't know what version number to

Since I don't know the version number I have to use either zoo_exists() or
zoo_get().  Even though zoo_exists() gets me the version number I don't know
whether that version is the one that I wrote.  Therefore I need to read the
znode (zoo_get()) and compare with the data that I did set before I make
changes to the data (step 2) ) that I will zoo_set in step 3).  Note that I
am never sure if I was the last writer.

If there is a way to get the used version from zoo_set(), then I do not need
to use zoo_exists() or zoo_get() in between zoo_set() calls (steps 1) and 3)
).  They will still fail, of course, if the version is wrong.  And the other
benefit is that I will know that I was the last writer if I get the version
from my last successful zoo_set() and then do zoo_exists() and the versions