Hi Jon,
  We do not have any limit on the number of znodes in Zookeeper. Its mainly
limited by memory, since it keeps the whole namespace in memory.

Also the lock mechanism is a good use case for zookeeper.
It is listed as one of the recipes for zookeeper.

http://hadoop.apache.org/zookeeper/docs/r3.0.1/recipes.html#sc_recipes_Locks

mahadev