Hi Vinod,
 I think what Ben meant was this--

The client will never know of a session expiration until and unless its
connected to one of the servers. So the leader cannot demote itself since
its connected to one of the servers. It might have lost its session (which
all the others except itself would have realized) but will have to wait to
demote itself until it connects to one of the servers.

mahadev