Well if that were the direction, goal, I'd feel more comfortable about
recommending ZK......
If a company were to implement some of these algorithms then I suspect
they'd run into a race condition, etc with all that rope.

For my part I'd be willing to contribute the NodeWatcher/NodeListener I

Would be nice to have unit test for it that has all possible/unusual race
conditions with ZK.

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 11:58 AM, Mahadev Konar <maha...@yahoo-inc.com>wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>  It would be great to have such high level interfaces. It could be
> something that you could contribute :) . We havent had the bandwidth to
> provide such interfaces for zookeeper. It would be great to have all such
> recipes as a part of contrib package of zookeeper.
> mahadev
> On 1/9/09 11:44 AM, "Kevin Burton" <bur...@spinn3r.com> wrote:
> > OK.... so it sounds from the group that there are still reasons to
> provide
> > rope in ZK to enable algorithms like leader election.
> > Couldn't ZK ship higher level interfaces for leader election, mutexes,
> > semapores, queues, barriers, etc instead of pushing this on developers?
> >
> > Then the remaining APIs, configuration, event notification, and
> discovery,
> > can be used on a simpler, rope free API.
> >
> > The rope is what's killing me now :)
> >
> > Kevin

Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com
Location: San Francisco, CA