I'm using a timeout of 5000ms.  Now let me ask this:  Suppose all of
my clients are waiting on some external event -- not ZooKeeper -- so
they are all idle and are not touching ZK nodes, nor are they calling
exists, getChildren, etc etc.  Can that idleness cause session expiry?

I'm running a local quorum of 3 nodes.  That is, I have an Ant script
that kicks off 3 <java> tasks in parallel to run ConsumerPeerMain,
each with its own config file.

Regarding handling of the failure, I suspect I will just have to
reinitialize by creating a new instance of my client(s) that
themselves will have a new ZK instance.  I'm using Spring to wire
everything together, which is why it's particularly difficult to
simply re-create a new ZK instance and pass it to the classes using it
(those classes have no knowledge of each other).  But I _can_ just
pull a freshly-created (prototype) instance from the Spring
application context, which is where a new ZK client will be wired in.

The only ramification there is I have to throw the KeeperException as
a fatal exception rather than letting that client try to re-elect.  Or
maybe add in some logic to say "if I can't re-elect, _then_ throw an
exception and consider it fatal."

Thanks guys.

-Tom