On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 9:33 PM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> zookeeper is not really what you would call a scalable system because all
> transactions that are updates go through the leader for serialization.
> Zookeeper is, instead, a high throughput HA system. That said, the
> throughput of a modest zookeeper  cluster is fairly prodigous so for the
> normal application of coordinating a large cluster, these limits are beyond
> what just about anyone needs.
> For other uses, though, 50 K updates per second wouldn't cut it.

I understand that Google uses Chubby (a ZooKeeper clone... or vice versa :-)
) as the coordination mechanism for Big Table.  Do you have any insight into
Chubby's performance characteristics... and if it would be possible to build
a Big Table clone that had scalability characteristics of Big Table with
ZooKeeper as the underlying coordinator?

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Git some: http://github.com/dpp