Of the methods proposed,

a) recursive sequential files

b) latest state file(s) that is updated using a pseudo transaction to give a
range of numbers to allocate

c) just probe zxid

You should be pretty good with any of them.  With (a), you have to be
careful to avoid race conditions when you get to the end of the range for
the sub-level.  With (b), you get results of guaranteed nature although the
highest throughput versions might have gaps (shouldn't bother you).  The
code for this is more complex than the other implementations.  With (c), you
could have potentially large gaps in the sequence, but 64 bits that
shouldn't be a big deal.  Code for that version would be the simplest of any
of them.