Hello there,

I'm an interested newcomer to ZooKeeper, so please forgive me if I
miss some important basic detail.

I actually had the same high-level question than the original poster,
so I'm interested in the response too.

>  There is a jira open to document this in our forrest docs -
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-329.
> Ill try and explain how to do in the email, feel free to respond with more
> questions. The c and java api both have a call called add_auth/addAuth to
> add authentication data for a client. Also, you can write pulgins at the
> server side to verify this authentication. Take a look at files in
> src/java/main/org/apache/zookeeper/server/auth/.

Oh, interesting.  So the auth plugin API works both at the node level
and at the server level, or is the idea that you simply allow the
client to connect, but prevent it from touching any node at all using

Gustavo Niemeyer