The only things that you can do without pretty solid crypto support are
authorized host lists and misplacing the trust to the client machines
authentication.  Since these provide next to no security (except for
limiting connections to localhost), there isn't much point in making this
kind of authentication pluggable.  Stunnel + only-localhost + current
security (pluggable) limits should be pretty good, though.