Ben's opinion is that it should not belong in the default API but in the
common client that another recent thread was about. My opinion is just that
I need such a functionality, wherever it is.

If the node gets the exception (or has it's own timer), as I wrote, it will
shut itself down to release HDFS leases as fast as possible. If ZK is really
down and it's not a network partition, then HBase is down and this is fine
because it won't be able to work anyway.