> Ben's opinion is that it should not belong in the default API but in the
> common client that another recent thread was about. My opinion is just that
> I need such a functionality, wherever it is.

Understood, sorry.  I just meant that it feels like something that
would likely be useful to other people too, so might have a role in
the default API to ensure it gets done properly considering the
details that Ben brought up.

> If the node gets the exception (or has it's own timer), as I wrote, it will
> shut itself down to release HDFS leases as fast as possible. If ZK is really
> down and it's not a network partition, then HBase is down and this is fine
> because it won't be able to work anyway.

Right, that's mostly what I was wondering.  I was pondering about
under which circumstances the node would be unable to talk to the
ZooKeeper server but would still be holding the HDFS lease in a way
that prevented the rest of the system from going on.  If I understand
what you mean, if ZooKeeper is down entirely, HBase would be down for
good. If the machine was partitioned off entirely, the HDFS side of
things will also be disconnected, so shutting the node down won't help
the rest of the system recovering.

Gustavo Niemeyer