If the machine was completely partitioned, as far as I know, it would lose
it's lease so the only thing we have to make sure about is clearing the
state of the region server by doing a "restart" so that it's ready to come
back in the cluster. If ZK is down but the rest is up, closing the files in
HDFS should ensure that we lose a minimum of data if not losing any.

I think that in a multi-rack setup it is possible to not be able to talk to
ZK but to be able to talk to the Namenode as machines can be anywhere.
Especially in HBase 0.20, the master can failover on any node that has a
backup Master ready. So in that case, the region server should consider
itself gone from the cluster and close any connection it has and restart.

Those are very legetimate questions Gustavo, thanks for asking.

J-D