In general for changes like this, you need to be running more than one
server in a cluster to avoid losing state such as the ephemeral nodes.

I can't say for certain that the 3.1.1 to 3.2 change can be done this way,
but most upgrades can be done by stopping one server at a time, changing
the software and config and restarting it.  Then you move on to the next.
This will cause a connection loss event for each client eventually, but it
should
not cause any sessions to expire.

Don't do this until somebody says something for certain that 3.1.1 can
change to 3.2 within a cluster.