Hi Erik,
  I am not sure if that would a considerable opitmization but even if you
wanted to do it, it would be much more than just adding a check in the
constructor (the serialization/deserialization would need to have
specialized code). Right now all the datanodes are treated equally for
ser/derser and other purposes.

mahadev