Hi Jean-Daniel, not sure I get your response fully. Are you saying that the configured ip addr was resolved to a hostname, but that hostname didn't match the list of ip addresses used when defining the zk quorum machines? Is there a workaround you could suggest for ppl who don't have DNS available? Should an Hbase JIRA be created for this -- ie is it something you consider should be fixed/improved?

Jean-Daniel Cryans wrote:
Oh ok well HBase relies on the DNS class shipped with Hadoop to
determine your address. It will try to use a hostname if possible but
what comes out of there really depends on your OS configuration. In
your case, that means that it resolved a hostname instead of an IP
(which is rare) so you should use it instead.

Also this is HBase-specific, ZK isn't really involved.