HI todd,
 From what I understand, you are sayin that a creator_all_acl does not work
with auth?

 I tried the following with CREATOR_ALL_ACL and it seemed to work for me...

import org.apache.zookeeper.CreateMode;
import org.apache.zookeeper.WatchedEvent;
import org.apache.zookeeper.Watcher;
import org.apache.zookeeper.ZooKeeper;
import org.apache.zookeeper.data.ACL;
import org.apache.zookeeper.ZooDefs.Ids;
import java.util.ArrayList;
import java.util.List;

public class TestACl implements Watcher {

    public static void main(String[] argv) throws Exception {
        List<ACL> acls = new ArrayList<ACL>(1);
        String authentication_type = "digest";
        String authentication = "mahadev:some";

        for (ACL ids_acl : Ids.CREATOR_ALL_ACL) {
            acls.add(ids_acl);
        }
        TestACl tacl = new TestACl();
        ZooKeeper zoo = new ZooKeeper("localhost:2181", 3000, tacl);
        zoo.addAuthInfo(authentication_type, authentication.getBytes());
        zoo.create("/some", new byte[0], acls, CreateMode.PERSISTENT);
        zoo.setData("/some", new byte[0], -1);
    }

    @Override
    public void process(WatchedEvent event) {

    }
}

And it worked on my set of zookeeper servers....

And then
I tried

Without auth

Getdata("/some")

Which correctly gave me the error:

Exception in thread "main"
org.apache.zookeeper.KeeperException$NoAuthException: KeeperErrorCode =
NoAuth for /some
    at org.apache.zookeeper.KeeperException.create(KeeperException.java:104)
    at org.apache.zookeeper.KeeperException.create(KeeperException.java:42)
    at org.apache.zookeeper.ZooKeeper.getData(ZooKeeper.java:892)
    at org.apache.zookeeper.ZooKeeper.getData(ZooKeeper.java:921)
    at
org.apache.zookeeper.ZooKeeperMain.processZKCmd(ZooKeeperMain.java:692)
    at org.apache.zookeeper.ZooKeeperMain.processCmd(ZooKeeperMain.java:579)
    at
org.apache.zookeeper.ZooKeeperMain.executeLine(ZooKeeperMain.java:351)
    at org.apache.zookeeper.ZooKeeperMain.run(ZooKeeperMain.java:309)
    at org.apache.zookeeper.ZooKeeperMain.main(ZooKeeperMain.java:268)

Is this what you are trying to do?

Thanks
mahadev