Benjamin Reed wrote:
> you and ted are correct. the id gives zookeeper a stable identifier to
> use even if the ip address changes. if the ip address doesn't change,
> we could use that, but we didn't want to make that a built in
> assumption. if you really do have a rock solid ip address, you could
> make a wrapper startup script that starts up and creates the myid file
> based on the ip address. i gotta say though, i've found that such
> assumptions are often found to be invalid.

Yeah, it can be tricky.  In more than one cluster,  I've seen a set of
static configuration files that gets replicated everywhere.  If an
individual instance needs per-instance configuration, we do that from
the command line (using -D).  Maybe logic can do it, or maybe a start
script has to load a machine local file, whatever.  It's a pretty common
paradigm, though.

It's hardly the end of the world, but it is definitely something my ops
people stumbled over.

--
Eric Bowman
Boboco Ltd