You have two options.

What Henry is talking about is a sophisticated update to ZK internals that
does a very nice job of handling all the possible split-brain issues and
other pathologies that can result from growing or shrinking a cluster.  His
patch isn't ready yet, but when it is, it should be really nice.

What I am talking about is pretty tame hack that allows you to get 99% of
the result needed with very little effort.  It can be done today.

Restarting servers one at a time is conventionally used for minor releases
of ZK and can be (ab)used to allow configuration changes.

I don't quite follow what you are saying in your second and third sentences
so I can't answer the question in your fourth.

Can you clarify what you mean?  I halfway suspect you dropped a word
somewhere.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve