I couldn't find a JIRA for removing the sys exits so I created one:

there's also this which seems like it should be easy for someone
who knows osgi container jar format requirements:

Now we just need to find someone who's interested and who would really like to run the server in his osgi container to work on these... (hint hint) ;-)

Ted Dunning wrote:
Running ZK in an OSGi container is a great idea and should be really easy to
make happen.

This should be a new JIRA, in my opinion.