Hi Vijay,
  Unfortunately you wont be able to keep running the observer in the other
DC if the quorum in the DC 1 is dead. Most of the folks we have talked to
also want to avoid voiting across colos. They usually run two instances of
Zookeeper in 2 DC's and copy state of zookeeper (using a bridge) across
colos to keep them in sync. Usually the data requirement across colos is
very small and they are usually able to do that by copying data across with
there own bridge process.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
mahadev