Qing -

Also, as you pointed out, ZAB requires this FIFO property of the
point-to-point links. Paxos copes with more adversarial networks which allow
reordering and missed messages. It's easy to alter Paxos so as not to
'publish' the results of consensus rounds where there are gaps in the
previous commit history. (You may be interested in the 'Fast Paxos' paper by
Lamport which talks about making the protocol 2-message optimal in all cases
when order is not important, i.e. the messages commute). You can express the
ordering dependency between messages by supplying a proposal number with
each that is monotonically increasing in causal order.

ZAB takes care of all of this for you by using TCP sequence numbers and
getting the deep pipelining available by knowing that there are no updates
being voted on depend on updates that have not yet arrived, the 'cost' is
relying on a stronger network model than Paxos presupposes.