Qing -

That part of the documentation is slightly confusing. The elected leader
must have the highest zxid that has been written to disk by a quorum of
followers. ZAB makes the guarantee that a proposal which has been logged by
a quorum of followers will eventually be committed. Conversely, any
proposals that *don't* get logged by a quorum before the leader sending them
dies will not be committed. One of the ZAB papers covers both these
situations - making sure proposals are committed or skipped at the right
moments.

So you get the neat property that leader election can be live in exactly the
case where the ZK cluster is live. If a quorum of peers aren't available to
elect the leader, the resulting cluster won't be live anyhow, so it's ok for
leader election to fail.

FLP impossibility isn't actually strictly relevant for ZAB, because FLP
requires that message reordering is possible (see all the stuff in that
paper about non-deterministically drawing messages from a potentially
deliverable set). TCP FIFO channels don't reorder, so provide the extra
signalling that ZAB requires.

cheers,
Henry