Hi Patrick, thank you very much for you quick reply.
With your help I found the problem. The variable $ZOOPIDFILE in the zkServer.sh script containted the following (weird) string: /zookeeper_server.pidver1/data And this of course doesn't work. The problem was that in the zoo.cfg file I had DOS carriage returns. :-( For some reason this didn't bother the snapshots and logs, as they were written to my data diretory. But the PID file wasn't there. Once I fixed this and used UNIX carriage returns, everything works. I can stop zookeeper now. :-) Sorry for this stupid error and thanks again for your help. Cheers, Michael -- Michael Bauland michael.baul...@knipp.de bauland.tel