I think that the crux of Mahadev's suggestion is that you do as you say, but
you should try the resources in randomized order.

That will have very robust properties, especially with more than a handful
of resources and is easy to code and to analyze.

It won't work if you really mean "lock first available from this sequence".

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve