Hi

Usually, this would hold about 2k items, pushing to 10k peaks.

My current understanding is that I cannot lock a node while I consider its
contents, and so only the garbage remover would be allowed to remove locks
(currently lock-clients can claim expired locks).

The clients would simply do this:

   1. try to create a node
   2. if success, you have the lock, otherwise you don't

The garbage remover would do this:

   1. inspect node.
   2. if expired, delete it.

The length of time that locks are held then becomes a function of the length
of time between garbage-removing sweeps. Perhaps that is OK.

I cannot see how clients could safely inspect a node and overwrite the
expiry time if it had expired.  That would involve multiple steps, and so
not be atomic.

regards,
Martin