Your network admin is correct.  Multicast often doesn't work.

ZK does not use multicast at the network level.  Where events or
notifications must go to many places (that SOUNDS like multicast, I know) it
uses very standard TCP connections.

For almost any known modern network, ZK should be just fine.  Unless you are
running massive numbers of operations through ZK and you are only using a
dial-up connection, you should be fine.