On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:09:20 -0700
Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> wrote:

> We did have a case where the user setup 3 servers, each was
> standalone. :-) Doesn't look like that's the problem here though
> given you only specify 1 server in the connect string (although as
> mahadev mentioned you don't need to worry about that aspect).

They're definitely not standalone.  Here's the server config:

# The number of milliseconds of each tick
tickTime=2000
# The number of ticks that the initial
# synchronization phase can take
initLimit=5
# The number of ticks that can pass between
# sending a request and getting an acknowledgement
syncLimit=2
# the directory where the snapshot is stored.
dataDir=/home/pl_drl/zookeeper-3.2.2/data
# the port at which the clients will connect
clientPort=2181
server.1=<hostname 1>:2888:3888
server.2=<hostname 2>:2888:3888
server.3=<hostname 3>:2888:3888

> After it goes 7->11->9, does it ever go back to 11 or just 9?

It actually does this:
7->7->11->9->9->12->14 ... (proceeds normally from here)

> It would be good to capture the server log files (all 3) when this
> happens next time. Please provide those as well, would be critical
> for discovering this. In particular not many users are running
> cross-colo clusters.

I'll be sure to save these next time.  I thought I had them for this
run, sorry.

> If you can provide the config files too that will be useful.
>
> What version of java/OS is being used?

I'm running on PlanetLab, which is based on Fedora 8 (very old).
uname says: Linux 2.6.22.19-vs2.3.0.34.39.planetlab #1 SMP Tue
Jun 30 09:32:05 UTC 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

java -version says:
java version "1.7.0"
IcedTea Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0-b21)
IcedTea Client VM (build 1.7.0-b21, mixed mode)

> Might be a good time to create a JIRA, attach all this to the JIRA so
> that you don't have to repeat. :-)

I'll do that (including server logs) next time I see it happen.

-Kevin