I did try a quick test on Windows (yes, some of us use Windows :)

I thought simply changing the "dataDir" to the "/dev/null" equivalent on
Windows would do the trick. It didn't work. It looks like a Java issue
because I noticed inconsistencies in the File API regarding this. I wrote
about it here -
http://javaforu.blogspot.com/2010/07/devnull-on-windows.html
devnull-on-windows .

BTW the Windows equivalent is "nul".

This is the error I got on Windows (below). The mkdirs() returns false. As
noted on my blog, it returns true for some cases.

2010-07-20 22:25:47,851 - FATAL [main:zookeeperserverm...@62] - Unexpected
exception, exiting abnormally
java.io.IOException: Unable to create data directory nul:\version-2
        at
org.apache.zookeeper.server.persistence.FileTxnSnapLog.<init>(FileTxnSnapLog.java:79)
        at
org.apache.zookeeper.server.ZooKeeperServerMain.runFromConfig(ZooKeeperServerMain.java:102)
        at
org.apache.zookeeper.server.ZooKeeperServerMain.initializeAndRun(ZooKeeperServerMain.java:85)
        at
org.apache.zookeeper.server.ZooKeeperServerMain.main(ZooKeeperServerMain.java:51)
        at
org.apache.zookeeper.server.quorum.QuorumPeerMain.initializeAndRun(QuorumPeerMain.java:108)
        at
org.apache.zookeeper.server.quorum.QuorumPeerMain.main(QuorumPeerMain.java:76)

Ashwin.