Another possible cause for this that I ran into recently with the c client -
you don't get the session expired notification until you are reconnected to
the quorum and it informs you the session is lost.  If you get disconnected
and can't reconnect you won't get the notification.  Personally I think the
client api should track the session expiration time locally and information
you once it's expired.