Generally it should be determined by your requirements around failure detection/recovery.

The higher you set it the less susceptible to intermittent failures you rare (brief network outages say, or GC pauses on the client). However this means that it takes longer to discover/recover from a real failure.

The lower you set it the faster you'll discover/recover from a real failure, but you also have the potential to see more "false positives".

Setting this really depends on your use case(s) -- your application requirements. Typically I see btw 5 and 30 seconds being used.

Patrick