They would only get expired sessions if they don't reconnect to another
server within a relatively short timeout (at least according to my original
idea... I haven't looked at Camille's suggestion carefully enough to see if
she meant that).

As I see it, the server that loses the client should propagate a close to
the leader when the client disappears.  The leader should note the time and
prepare to expire that session.  When the client reconnects somewhere, that
connection should be propagated to the leader who should cancel the timeout
and switch back to the long timeout accorded to heartbeats from the client.