Hi Tim,
 The lock recipe you mention is supposed to avoid her affect and prevent
starvation (though it has bugs :)).
 Are you looking for something like that or just a simple lock and unlock that
doesn't have to worry abt the above issues.
If that's the case then just doing an ephemeral create and delete should give
you your lock and unlock recipes.

Thanks
mahadev