The latest version of the rest gateway, now available in trunk, works
the way you want it.

I had the same problem you have while working on the code. There is
also a simple start/stop script available (src/contrib/rest/rest.sh).

You should checkout the trunk [1] or [2]. Runt "ant jar" in the root
folder and "ant tar" in src/contrib/rest. After running these steps
you will find in build/contrib/rest/ a .tar.gz archive that contains
everything you need to run a standalone REST gateway for ZooKeeper.

The config file should be pretty much self explanatory but if you need
more help let me know.

The version in the trunk is now session aware and you can use it even
to implement things like leader election (you can find some python
examples in  src/contrib/rest/src/python).

I'm planning to add more features to it, things like ACLs and session
authentication but unfortunately I haven't got the time. I should be
able to do this in the near future.

[1] http://hadoop.apache.org/zookeeper/version_control.html
[2] http://github.com/apache/zookeeper

--