computing project wrote:
[..]

To avoid creating my own catalog tool tied to my new tool, I was toying with the idea of extending the catalog tool so it had a list of tools that could provide catalog variables. Similar (well okay virtually identical) to the way the actions tool has a list of action providers that it consults. Is this something that would be useful as a patch for the CMF? It seemed to me that having the catalog tool know about the workflow tool at a code level is not quite right anyhow.

Any opinions?

This is similar to what Gregoire and others are doing for CMFEditions (I think) and for the UID handling in particular. There is a discussion going on to make the handling of 'opaque items' more generic by using annotations for storage (much like in Zope 3) and to allow configuring which opaque items/annotations to add to the catalog. Google along those lines and I'm sure you'll find plenty of pointers.

Raphael

--paul t