Not sure I follow this. What does the final assembly?  Your main ZPT
template?  If so, why not just cache the xhtml-fragment portlets in a
RAMCacheManager instead? Probably faster than waiting on network traffic
to/from squid, and definitely easier to set up.

Way faster in my limited ZopeZen setup I was caching the whole page in Squid and making one query to determine the log in status which returned on small hunk of XML. That was processed in the browser using XSLT.

I can take the approach that I dont care about non-XSLT browser like Safari though ;) Even processing that small peice of XML through a server side XSLT processor would be many orders of magnitude faster although I haven't tried that.
--
  Andy McKay
  Enfold Systems, LLC