The basic use case is to have sections of the site with different skins. I implement this with a call to changeSkin in __before_publishing_traverse__ of a folderish type. As these folders may be nested changeSkin could be called several times during the request. The correct skin is that specified by the last call to changeSkin.

I'll follow Tres' suggestion and supply a patch shortly.

Florent Guillaume wrote:
Could you expand a bit on the use case ? I'm not sure I get what you want do to, do you change skins several times in the middle of the request ? In what way is this skin needed afterward, at what point ? What's a "correct" skin ?

Laurence Rowe wrote:
In Plone ResourceRegistries (1.1 branch) I need to get the current skin name so that the resource (a css or js file) is fetched from the correct skin. Unfortunately it seems that there is no easy way to get the current skin name (when it is not set by a cookie in the request). I can work around this like follows, but it's a bit ugly:

    security.declareProtected(permissions.View, 'getCurrentSkinName')
    def getCurrentSkinName(self):
        """Returns the id of the current skin.

        Ugh, there really should be a better way of doing this. This is
        depending on internals in CMFCore and should be added there.
        skintool = getToolByName(self, 'portal_skins')
        default_skin_name = skintool.getDefaultSkin()
        tid = get_ident()
        if SKINDATA.has_key(tid):
            skinobj, ignore, resolve = SKINDATA.get(tid)
            current_skin_path = skinobj.getPhysicalPath()

            # Perhaps test against default skin first?

            skinnames = skintool.getSkinSelections()

            # loop through skin names looking for a match
            for name in skinnames:
                skin = skintool.getSkinByName(name)
                path = skin.getPhysicalPath()
                if current_skin_path == path:
                    return name

        return default_skin_name

Would it be reasonable to make Skinnable.SkinnableObjectManager.changeSkin set the skin request var name after changing the skin? Such as:

    def changeSkin(self, skinname):
        '''Change the current skin.

        Can be called manually, allowing the user to change
        skins in the middle of a request.
        skinobj = self.getSkin(skinname)
        if skinobj is not None:
            tid = get_ident()
            SKINDATA[tid] = (skinobj, {}, {})
            REQUEST = getattr(self, 'REQUEST', None)
            if REQUEST is not None:
                sfn = self.getSkinsFolderName()
                if sfn is not None:
                    sf = getattr(self, sfn, None)
                    if sf is not None:
                        REQUEST.set(sf.getRequestVarname(), skinname)

Then getSkinNameFromRequest would work happily. Or is the a better way to do this?

Zope-CMF maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED]