yuppie wrote:
- import/export of selected tools from a bigger profile: don't think we really need that

Right now each tool has its own import step and export step. The 'Import'
and 'Export' tab of the setup tool allow to select single steps and run
them independently. If tools become part of the 'Required tools' step you
can just select / deselect them en bloc.

Hm I don't like it, I import/export tools individually all the time.

-1 from me.

What are your use cases?

Adding tools and loading the settings from an existing profile?

When developing a site configuration I keep exporting and importing some tool's profiles on various zopes, copying them between zopes to test, etc.

Resetting existing tools?

Sometimes yes, to get rid of customizations made.

Do you import/export only single tools or big sets of tools at once?

Single tools usually. Maybe two or three at most.

I can see use cases like that, but I'd prefer a more decentralized solution. Using the setup tool for tasks like that makes it too complex and if I want to modify a single tool I don't want to switch to the setup tool and perform many steps to get my import. Possible alternatives:

- A modified tool factory could allow adding pre-configured tools in a similar way as the 'CMF Action' and '* Type Information' factories on the trunk (that allow to choose presettings from profiles).

- Tools could have an import/export tab that allows to load settings from an XML file.

I don't understand, in the CMF 1.5 framework I'm using that doesn't make sense. Things go through portal_setup. Maybe in CMF 2.0 and the updated GenericSetup that's different but I'm not there yet.

If individual tools have Export/Import tabs that do the I/O, fine, but I don't see any code that does that today. You're proposing that we modify every single tool's implementation, instead of having things in portal_setup?

- I've experimented a bit with configuring sites via WebDAV. I was able to reconfigure portal_catalog by uploading a modified XML file. But I'm stuck with 2 issues:
1.) tool IDs don't have an '.xml' suffix
2.) tools like portal_workflow and portal_types that are represented by a directory of XML files are hard to bootstrap via WebDAV.

WebDAV is something different. I want to be able to use the ZMI, that's what it's for.