Alexander Limi wrote:
On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 10:04:52 -0800, Andreas Jung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

AFAIK ACTUAL_URL contains the full URL *plus* the query string. VIRTUAL_URL does not contain the query string. ACTUAL_URL was introduced on request by
the Plone developers.

Except, the implementation did not end up including the query string - which was the whole idea in the first place, to have ACTUAL_URL be "what is in the address bar right now", so things like anchors work (did you know there is no proper way of getting anchors to work in virtual hosting setups without doing three conditional tests in your template?).

When I suggested that it should be fixed, people wanted to invent *another* variable that included the query string, and it degenerated into a "what should we name it" discussion after that. So that thing still has to be "reinvented" in Plone, which sucks.

Intended or not, ACTUAL_URL was released with a specific behavior that is useful for and used by some people. You can't change the behavior of ACTUAL_URL in a non backwards compatible way just to make it more suitable for your use cases.

Anyway, ACTUAL_URL supersedes VIRTUAL_URL which is only available if the Virtual Host Monster changed the URL. I can't think of any good reason to use VIRTUAL_URL instead of ACTUAL_URL.