Thanks for clarifying - that's what I thought was happening. I was using a web cacheability testing site (http://www.web-caching.com/cacheability.html) and that reported that it did could not validate the objects when it sent conditional requests. However, it now reports that it can whether the items are str'd or not, so it seems like it wasn't related.

>> 2. Is there any way to get at the modification time for the actual view or template that is being rendered?
>>

> No.
>
> The CPM model stipulates that the template/view is irrelevant
> and only the content object counts.
>
> Obviously, the model is too weak -- but you can change it only
> by implementing your own CPM...

I would quite like not to do that. As the template id is available as the string 'view', I thought it was just possible that there was some way to get at some other details.

Thanks for the quick response.