Hi Jean-Fran├žois!

Doyon, Jean-Francois wrote:

Especially since the FSMetadata class isn't a mix-in so it turns out
getting to the site instance's encoding isn't easy.

Want me to file a bug?

Florent Guillaume wrote at 2006-9-4 20:38 +0200:
I'd say it would be cleaner to let the .metadata specify its own encoding, for instance with a # coding: utf-8 at the top, and pasrse that in FSMetadata.

I find this a good suggestions -- but would use the declaration syntax
used also in (e.g.) Python.

I'm not sure I understand the plan. Encoding declarations usually describe the encoding of the file, not the encoding used inside the application.

Does that mean all metadata will be converted to unicode? And methods that use the metadata - like tag() - will return unicode instead of str values?

AFAICS a change like that requires many unit tests that make sure unicode values don't cause any trouble and a migration strategy for code that expects str values.