Tres Seaver wrote:

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
On 8 Jan 2007, at 01:19, Hanno Schlichting wrote:
Right now I would let all existing CMF tools implement that interface,
so we would be on the safe side. In a later release we can revisit this
and see if some tools don't need Acquisition to work properly.

If I'm not mistaken this should let us remove all the manual AQ- wrapping again (sorry Jens for the premature patch) and thus impose no extra pain
on add-on developers.
The manual wrapping can be removed if we do use the special component registry which would do it for us, right. Having it done behind the scenes is obviously much better then trying to figure out if it's needed and then doing it manually. It's also the exact same behavior people got from getToolByName, so it's not really unexpected.

Even in Zope3, I think that "local" utilities may need to be local,
meaning that they know the "place" in which they are registered.

No they don't. There's nothing implied for local utilities, not even persistence. Of course, many local utilities *are* persistent and stored in a folder somewhere, thus have a __parent__ and all that. But that's typically less of interest when *using* the utility.

In Zope2, we *must* wrap them for the sake of security, if nothing else.

Sadly yes.

2nd edition of Web Component Development with Zope 3 is now shipping!