Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

a) somehow bundle CMF 2.1 (and Plone 3) with a package called five.localsitemanager. Given that Plone 3 already has plone.* packages (and I assume they also want five.customerize), this might probably be less of an issue for Plone than for the CMF.

This is not a problem for Plone 3, and I would certainly prefer this option.

It's just a deployment/packaging issue for CMF also. You could for example distribute an egg with a script that makes sure it gets installed in the right place ($INSTANCE_HOME/lib/python).